After scoring a giant bag of white button mushrooms from the discount bin at the Co-0p, I found this amazing mushroom soup recipe online. The originating blog seems dormant since 2009, so I’m paraphrasing the recipe to preserve it. This blog of mine Hey! Vegan! has been asleep since 2014… so this is a good time to start sharing great found and original recipes again. Happy New Year!
My photo below doesn’t do the soup’s deliciousness justice. FYI, I did not add the truffle oil, and used an on hand mix of yukon and purple potatoes. And, as I explained to my brother, this version doesn’t serve up the same nostalgia as Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom, but I think you’ll agree that it’s a keeper.
Creamy Vegan Potato Mushroom Soup (from vegpantry.com)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 6-8 peeled potatoes (Yukon gold or similar) diced
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 2 yellow onions diced
- 3-5 cloves garlic minced
- ½ lb mushroom (button or wild mix)
- 1/3 c tamari soy sauce
- 1 ½ tsp dried dill (1 tbs fresh)
- ¾ tsp dried rosemary (1 ½ tsp fresh)
- 1 c water
- 4 c veg broth
- 2 c plain soy milk
- tiny capful truffle oil (optional)
- pepper to taste
- Saute onion in oil for ~5 min
- Add carrots and garlic and sauté another ~5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, tamari, dill and rosemary, ~saute another ~5 adding water if vegetables start to stick.
- Add potatoes, broth and the water (if not already added.)
- Bring to a boil and then simmer ~20 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Add soy milk and heat just enough to warm through.
- Add pepper and enjoy.